Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Travel Woes

Over the past week, I flew down to Salt Lake City to visit my kids, and make an appearance at my home office.  I love traveling, though I love flying a lot less.  I stress for days before hand.  This time around, I was clenching and grinding my teeth in my sleep more than usual, and on Friday, I split a bicuspid in half.  There will be many meals served from blenders and several visits to the oral surgeon in my immediate future. Still, Tylenol with Codeine helps, and I had several interesting stoned conversations with family.

The trip home was exhausting, thanks to a fellow traveler.


Traveling Coach


Blond hair, curt cut
errant strand trembling
fingers jumping between
beverage and glasses
tablet and 2 phones,
intermittently adjusting filter,
aligning screen,
accessories sprawled over
two seats.

No audible breath,
but with each tap,
each text, each twitch of hers
I felt a muscle of my own atrophy
a breath stifle
until every impulse,
every movement
crawled inside me
to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment